One of my favorite holiday songs, which may or may not actually be a holiday song, is “My Favorite Things.” Which is appropriately named because it is, in fact, one of my favorite things. I was singing this to myself in the car while I sat in two hours of traffic. The fact that this is one of my last trips home from UNT is another one of my favorite things. Anyway, it got me thinking about some of my other favorite things. So here are some of them (in no particular order).
- Cookies – I pretty much love all cookies, particularly Oreos, Thin Mints and slightly undercooked chocolate chip. Although, I hold a personal grudge against oatmeal raisin cookies because they always trick me into thinking they’re chocolate chip. Then, upon realizing that it is NOT chocolate chip, I promptly spit out that fruity crap and hurl that lying SOB in the garbage.
- Aqua – The color, not the 90s band responsible for “Barbie Girl.” Although I did own that CD, it is not on this list.
- Dogs – I didn’t always think I was a dog person, but now that I have my own spoiled rotten canine companion I see what all the fuss is about. He can definitely be a pain, but he’s also a superb snuggler. And he’s super cute.
- My husband – Definitely my favorite person in the world. People ask if married life is any different, and really the only difference is how weird it feels to call him my husband. But it’s shorter than “permanent boyfriend” and less confusing than “life partner.”
- Guitars – I love the way they sound and how versatile they are. I’ve been playing since I was 16. There’s nothing like going into Guitar Center and playing the guitars that I know I’ll never be able to afford. They’re like butter. Speaking of which…
- Butter – You know what pre-diabetic Paula Dean says: “Butter makes it better!” And she’s absolutely right. Plus, you never heard anyone say, “Margarine makes it better.” That’s just stupid.. and false.
- Friday night – What is it about Friday night that makes it feel so magical and full of promise? Well, that is until Katy Perry made that awful song about having three-ways and getting kicked out of bars. Seriously, if anyone actually partied that hard then made an entire song about it, people would be like, “You maxed out your credit card? And went skinny dipping in… who knows what. You were in the middle of a city. Whatever it was, it was probably full of parasites and hepatitis. I hope no one else knows about this. Oh, you made a top 40 hit about it? So you’re broke and everyone knows you’re a drunken trollop? That’s cool.”
If this blog reads like I just looked around the room and wrote stuff down, it’s because I did. Now I’m off to go enjoy my Friday night… hopefully in a more dignified and sanitary manner than Katy Perry.